Real Estate Blog
Ottawa, ON, January 15, 2020 – Statistics released today by the Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA) show national home sales eased between November and December 2019.
- National home sales declined by 0.9% on a month-over-month (m-o-m) basis in December.
- Actual (not seasonally adjusted) activity was up 22.7% year-over-year (y-o-y).
- The number of newly listed properties dropped by a further 1.8% m-o-m.
- The MLS® Home Price Index (HPI) advanced by 0.8% m-o-m and 3.4% y-o-y.
- The actual (not seasonally adjusted) national average sale price climbed 9.6% y-o-y.
Home sales recorded over Canadian MLS® Systems edged down 0.9% in December 2019, ending a streak of monthly gains that began last March. Activity is currently about 18% above the six-year low reached in February 2019 but ends the year about 7% below the heights recorded in 2016 and 2017.
There was an almost even split between the number of local markets where activity rose and those where it declined, with higher...